Thursday, January 23, 2014

The New Changes in My Life That Will Lead to a Change in Me!

As many of you know, I am in the process of trying to get healthy and therefore reaching my biggest goal of being happier! There is a lot that goes into this resolution of mine and I have had several people ask just what I am doing as far as nutrition goes to be able to hit the goals I have for myself. So, here are a 5 of them.

#1-I make sure I balance my carbs with my protein. When I had gestational diabetes, I got really good at doing this. Basically, for however many carbs you have you need half of that amount in protein to balance it out. So for example, if you eat 30g in carbs you will want to eat 15g of protein to balance it. Now, the trick it to do this in the most healthy way possible. Sources I love for carbs are vegetables (especially leafy greens), fruits, whole grains, etc. For protein I like fat free milk and cottage cheese, fish, chicken, or turkey (rather than beef), but if you balance your food your body does not go into fat storing mode, your sugar levels do not get high, and you will feel better after eating, because it is the balance your body needs.

#2-Learn to trade foods you are used to eat with healthier options. Here is a list of foods that I have switched out for healthier and more balanced nutrition that will lead to a more fit me. I have also found that you really can eat healthy on a budget by eating the right amount of food and focusing on fresh fruits and vegetables.

Margarine to Butter (but I use this sparingly)
Table Salt to Real Salt (also used sparingly)
Sugar to Truvia (this I use very sparingly to sprinkle on grapefruit, etc.)
Concentrated Juices to 100% Juices
Processed and White Grains to 100% Whole Wheat (this includes bread, pasta, etc.)
White Potatoes to Sweet Potatoes
All drinks (other than an occasional glass of skim milk or fresh squeezed juice) to WATER
salty chips and fries to salted steamed veggies
sweets like chocolate and goodies to a serving of fresh and delicious fruit

#3-You will notice a certain word is in all caps above and that is because you need to make it your friend and drink a lot of it! It helps flush toxins out of your body, and is very important considering it makes up such a large portion of our bodies. It is irreplaceable for our organs and body to function properly, so don't replace this important part of our diet with soda, sugary concentrated juices, or even a lot of milk. They say to take your weight, divide it in half, and that is how many ounces of water you need a day. When you have a headache, ninety percent of the time it is because you are dehydrated and need water, so try a glass of water before going for that pain killing pill. And did you know that most of the time when you feel hungry you are actually just thirsty? So, always reach for a glass of water before going for those comfort foods or snacks. I like to even add a little lime to mine, which I have noticed also helps to curb hunger. I have noticed a HUGE difference with drinking more water. I don't get the munchies as often, and don't have headaches. I usually get headaches all the time. I am talking a couple of times a week, but I have not had a headache in an entire week! I am telling you water is your BEST friend folks!

#4-Exercise! Now, you may be wondering why I am bringing exercise up when I said I would be talking about nutrition, and the reason is this-it really affects nutrition for me! I have noticed that when I am exercising and active, my body actually craves what is good for it, and does not want the junk food. I also drink a lot more water not only while exercising (obviously), but throughout the rest of the day. Another problem exercising fixes for me is the same for a lot of us. A lot of us eat when we are bored or we are down to make us feel better (hence the term "comfort food"), but let me tell you, if you get up and workout, not only will you fix the boredom problem, but you will actually be happier and feel better than you would if you had resorted to food to solve the problem. Bottom line? Exercise is the answer for boredom and difficult emotions, NOT food! This is a VERY new concept for me (as many of you know), but trust me-it works!

#5-Okay, this last one is definitely the MOST important even if it sounds a little silly. You have to LOVE yourself and REWARD yourself through and for all of your hard work! This one is probably the hardest one for me personally. No matter the scale, or the inches, or how well you complete a workout, how healthy you eat, or what people say to you or how they make you feel. Think positive about yourself and life!!! Negativity is your WORST enemy when it comes to change. So love yourself and be proud of yourself for who you are as you are working towards your goals, and reward yourself for your progress. What is hard work without a little reward after all? Try to avoid rewards that cheat you on your new goals. Speaking of cheating, if you are really craving something like that cookie, some chips or that ice cream, try to have just a little bit of it earlier in the day so your body has a better chance of burning the calories, and so you don't just give up, cave, and binge later. A little bit won't hurt as long as you don't make a habit of it. If you stick to your goals, I promise that you will eventually find that those foods no longer appeal to you and you even get sick eating them. Try rewards like a new purse, a night out, new songs off of  i-tunes to work out to (this one is HUGE for me), new clothes (especially once you start hitting those goals)-get CREATIVE and have FUN! This is so important! When I am craving junk food, I also like to take the money I would have used to get that fast food or sweets and get something else instead like a necklace, or any of the other reward ideas I just mentioned. You could also save that money and put it towards a bigger reward like a trip or something big and new you have been wanting for the house. Find healthy foods, and workouts, and rewards that you enjoy and I promise you, the change will come SO much easier. Become mentally tough and really push yourself to be the BEST you, you can be INSIDE and out!


 I hope these five tips help you out as much as they are helping me out. Good luck with your health, goals, resolutions, and most importantly loving yourself! Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment